Tuesday 3 November 2015

Three months of farm life

Yup, it's been three months since Richard and I packed our bags and traded endless naps for early starts and lots of poop! Farm life has changed us already.

Learning to drive the little tractor was a little scary but now it's fine!

I have to say the animals here are what makes me smile most, we currently have 8 chickens, 27 sheep, 3 horses, 2 ducks and 2 dogs. Nothing can quite beat the feeling of picking up eggs while they are still warm, fresh from the chickens bottom! The occasional egg hunt when they change their laying spot is also fun!

Spot that chicken!
The sheep are so funny! We have 15 males which will be getting the chop soon and 12 females which will be used for breeding. The guys are really friendly, they don't have names so we just call them by their numbers. 93 likes to follow you round while you're poo picking and nibbles your bum. My favourite though is 135. He loves a head scratch and the occasional selfie! 

Add caption

Our ladies are new, arriving about two weeks ago they are still very shy but we've been able to coax three into eating leaves from our hands and even the occasional stroke but they're still suspicious of us. Since they are here for the long run we've decided to name them after either strong women or good mothers. So far we have Michelle (after Mrs Obama), Ange and Sue after mine and Richards mums and Andrea after Shanna's mum. Shanna is from Vermont and staying on the farm with us for a while. 


The horses are lovely, although I'll admit, i do have a favourite, Nico is lovely, he's naughty but also very sweet. Sasha is Richard's favourite she's very kind but she definitely likes her men! Then there is Luke, he's huge and just plods along, I'm sure he doesn't know how big he is! They are all a total pleasure to ride though. 


Finally for the animals we have the dogs, Arti, a French bulldog and Sandy, a boxer. Both are brilliant, I'm more of a big dog fan, give me a Labrador over a chihuahua any day. So I have a soft spot for Sandy. Also Arti poops in the house and really like peeing in your shoes if you leave them out. However, they both are sweet and will happily cuddle up with my in front of the fire. Arti seems to have taken to following me round all the time as well, I fall over him a lot!


Generally farm life is treating us well. We've made awesome friends who I can't wait to see again. The routine is doing us both good and I've pretty much kicked my napping habbit. I can now (begrudgingly) get out of bed at 7am and jump back in at 10pm.  

I think farm life will suit us!

Keep it Scrimpy,
Laura. 




   


No comments:

Post a Comment