Sunday 20 January 2013

Choosing Accommodation

UCAS deadline day has passed, most people are now holding offers (if you aren't don't worry some places like to take their time handing out offers). So what's next on the long road to applying to uni? Well while waiting for student finance to open it's worth thinking about what accommodation you want to live in next year.

Most first years choose to live in university accommodation/ Halls.

However you need to have a look around before deciding what halls you want to live in. There are several things to consider.

  • What can you afford
    • You might not be able to answer this yet but using a loan calculator you can get a rough idea
  • What do you need
    • Most universities offer large rooms or even rooms with a double bed, these all sound very nice but are quite expensive. Large rooms on the ground floor are often used for disabled access. 
  • How many people are you sharing with
    • Depending on the halls you may share with differing amounts of people. The cheaper halls here have more people per flat than the more expensive halls.
  • What are you sharing (bathrooms kitchen etc)
    • for some people sharing a bathroom is a big no no, but remember you will pay extra for en-suite rooms. 
One of the first posts I did was a tour of my room here. I pay £4,221.27 for the pleasure of living in my halls, which seems expensive but over the year it is cheaper than most.

My experiences were that on open days we were only shown the most expensive accommodation and I really had to search for the cheaper options, but keep looking they are out there.
I know it is a while until applications for accommodation opens but it's worth looking now and knowing what you want ready for when the time comes around.

Feel free post me any questions and I will do my best to help


Keep it scrimpy.
Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment