Sunday 22 June 2014

The struggles of summer

I've just got back from a really lovely catch up with the beautiful Alex,I haven't seen her in ages and it was great to finally sit down and talk. Alex has just finished her first year at uni and you can tell she loves it there, she's like my little sister and I'm so proud of her.

One of the things we talked about was adjusting to being back home after being away all year and it got me thinking about how I adjusted last year and how I'm coping now. Truth is, after my first year of uni I didn't and to be honest I'm still struggling now.




After a quick Google I realised that there is loads of info about missing home while you are at uni but not much about missing uni when you are at home, I suppose I have universitysickness or anti-homesickness, I can't be the only one, right?

I miss this crazy bunch
I love university and I love my life there, I get to live my own life and do what I want at a pace that suits me (something that's become very important to me recently). I don't have to tell anyone I'm going out or what time I will be back. If I wake up one morning and want to go shopping then off I go. All that freedom is gone the instant I arrive back home. I don't have my own space any more. My Dad wants to know where I'm going and what time I'm coming back, am I at home for tea or not? And should I want to go shopping anywhere half decent I need to sit on a bus for and hour or hitch a lift. I just feel so frustrated and constrained by being at home, I can't even cook the food I want to eat at home as my dad seems dead set against vegetables. It's the small stuff that gets me, I'm so used to having all my friends around me all of the time that home can seem a lonely place, I can't just wander to the kitchen and find Sara making lunch. At the same time though I do miss my own space, my room at my dad's house just doesn't feel like mine any more, I've really adopted Bangor as home and honestly, that's where I want to be at the moment.

I know it's just the little things and I am glad to be home yes. I just feel so constrained by life at home compared to life at university. It's a big change and one I don't cope with very well. Please do share your stories and tips for coping with being back home, I'd really appreciate it!

Sorry this one has been a little depressing, some good news to come I promise!


Keep it Scrimpy.
Laura

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this. Coming home is rubbish. As you mention, Ii's annoying as well how everything isn't within walking distance.

    I graduated a while back, I've got my own house and a car so I am independent, but I still miss Bangor. At least I get to go back every year for Old Boys. That's when I feel truly at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, I've just finished my first year and am really missing uni. It doesn't help that I live in a rural area with no car/buses during the holidays.

    Rebecca Elizabeth
    EnglishPrepster

    ReplyDelete