Sunday 7 August 2016

Lets talk food banks.

So I was wandering around my local ASDA the other day then I noticed a collection basket for the Alsager Food Bank. Now I live in a generally middle class town, it is by no means a 'struggling' area. If my middle class town needs a food bank I hate to think of how bad the situation is over all. Just imagine being in the position where you had to rely on a food bank to survive. You might think it will never happen to you but all it takes is one unexpected redundancy, the loss of a loved one or even an unexpected expense like a broken washing machine. I genuinely think that in this day and age, it's a terrible fact that people do need services like this to survive.

Imagine not being able to afford a picnic in the park, it's a reality for too many people.


So after a little thought I grabbed a basket and decided to do a food bank shop. I wanted to encourage some kind of healthy eating but on a budget, then after that I grabbed a few things I would miss if I was on the receiving end of a food package then I moved on to dessert, nobody should miss out on dessert! Finally I found myself in the toiletries isle and I grabbed some loo roll and ladies sanitary products because I really would struggle without them! My total shop came to £10.87.


My full shop (minus the loo roll and sanitary products)
So what can you do to help?

Well there's the obvious foods like tins of beans, spaghetti and pasta but there are a few things that people might not think to pick up.

Pet food 
Pets have to eat as well! 

Toiletries
shampoo, soap, shower gel 

Toothpaste/toothbrushes 

Ladies sanitary products  
These are so important, I know they can be a little expensive but imagine having to go without them!

Toilet rolls 

Washing up liquid/cleaning products 

So when you're next doing your weekly shop, even if you're on a tight budget please spare a thought for those who don't have a shopping budget, even if it's just a tin of beans. 

Love,
Laura. 

No comments:

Post a Comment