Thursday 10 March 2016

5 Reasons I worked abroad and didn't study

The general trend with years abroad seems to be to study, at least at Bangor anyway, and with the amount of help and support available I can see why people prefer to study. At Bangor you simply scroll through the list of pre approved study abroad partners, select which one you fancy, apply and off you go. Finding a work placement however is slightly more tricky, there is no pre-approved list, we didn't get any pointers it was simply, find yourself a work placement by the end of May. So why did I bother?

I was so lucky to work with these monsters.



1- It looks amazing on your CV

Working in a different country brings with it a wealth of skills and this is what employers are after. Working abroad shows you can adapt quickly to new environments and that you are willing to challenge yourself. I've developed no end of skills in the past five months, working as part of a small, multicultural team, having to adapt to and manage new volunteers, has taught me many things. The most important lesson I've learnt is that communication is possibly the most important factor in running a business. All of this, I believe gives me skills that might not have been possible to get by just studying. 

2- I wanted to truly experience a new way of life

While I love being a student I was beginning to feel like I was in desperate need of a reboot. What I really wanted was to totally dive into a new country, culture and way of life. I didn't quite get all of that but I've definitely kicked some student habits like napping and cheesy pasta. 

3- I needed some work experience 

While university and the Bangor Employability Award has done wonders for my CV when it comes down to it my work history looks a little bland, I've worked in a Chinese restaurant, a pub/restaurant and another pub after that. Working out here I hope will really add something interesting to my CV that hopefully will make someone consider giving me an interview (pretty please).

4- I was totally fed up of education

After three years I was so glad to hand in my dissertation, I seriously think one more essay would have pushed me over the edge. I wanted out but at the same time I wasn't sure where I wanted to go next. I had been toying with the idea of a masters but I wasn't ready. This year has given me the break I needed while allowing me to gain some valuable experience.

5- I wanted to travel 

While studying would have allowed me to travel and probably travel more, I felt that working allowed me a more structured timetable that I could plan travelling and I'd hopefully appreciate it more. We knew we would be getting every Tuesday off and occasionally we got a few days together for longer breaks. A more limited amount of free time has really pushed us to make the most of our time and plan ahead. 

Us at the top of the Danube tower in Vienna.
So that's why I chose to work abroad, I'll post a more reflective post on whether my year has met my expectations or not when I'm home for good. 

Keep it Scrimpy,
Laura. 

4 comments:

  1. I think working abroad is fab! To be honest I wish I had done it as by the end of school I was totally ready for a break and it's awesome to get some life experience!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It's been quite the experience in a country I don't think I would have visited otherwise. X

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of travelling after uni and working in different cultures. Really getting an experience for the country rather than just being a tourist. I think it's needed after uni, all the assignments UGH! I'm in year one and already feeling the pain. The count down for the term to end is in full swing. ha

    www.cutepandaa.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, enjoyed reading your blog.
    Feel free to check mine out at: http://lifeofacryptic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete