Monday 17 March 2014

Things I've never really gotten used to in Bangor


I love Bangor, honestly I do, it's an amazing place but there are still some things that I really can't get my head around!

Paying for carrier bags
It's not so much the price of them that bothers me it's just that when I go home and I find myself binging on carrier bags, even if I don't need one I grab one, or I do the exact opposite and attempt to carry all my shopping home with no bags at all, a common sight in Wales, not so much in England!
A few weeks ago we were driving down to the South-West for a Geography trip and I wasn't entirely sure where we were (Ironic for a geography student I know but in my defence I had been asleep!) so when we stopped at a service station and the lovely man behind the counter asked me if I would like a bag with my magazines he looked rather bemused when I responded with ' Depends, are we in England or Wales?'

Remembering to take carrier bags out with me
Again, it happens more when I've been home for a while, I get comfortable not needing to keep carrier bags on me at all times, big mistake when I get back!

Getting emails in Welsh
This annoys me slightly, uni know full well I can't read Welsh and still they feel the need to send me emails that consist of only Welsh text! The ones that are written in Welsh then English aren't too bad but I have a horrible habit of reading the Welsh first and it takes a good 5 seconds for me to realise that what I'm reading isn't a language I can understand!

Fire Alarms on Ffroidd 
Anyone in halls will understand this. Genuinely one of the scariest experiences of my life! I never noticed the red flashing light until it went off at 2am! Also why on earth does she say 'there has been a fire reported' In Welsh BEFORE she says it in English! Also I lived in Alaw where the fire alarm was tested every Wednesday at 2pm, prime nap time, it was awful. Student life really can be a struggle.






The one way system
Bangor is literally a massive one way system, not a problem if you don't drive, although I still have to look both ways when crossing the street. My problem comes when I try to direct people who are driving around Bangor, just because you can walk up a street doesn't mean you can drive up it!


Things not opening on Sundays
I'll never understand why half the pubs here don't open on a Sunday! To be fair it's not just the pubs, nothing seems to open on a Sunday and you're stuffed should you run out of milk after 4pm!

The pub to club ratio
We have three clubs but for some reason we have over 50 pubs, I have no idea how some of them stay open!

Sunday train times
Don't even get me started on this! There are no cheap trains out of here on a sunday. Want to leave? Enjoy spending £20 to sit on a shitty two carriage Arriva Trains Wales! (I had quite the bad experience with them last time)

Why Tesco is so far away
It's almost as if it's not really there for the students, only grown ups with cars venture there, or freshers who think it's not really that far. Good luck carrying all that shopping back!

Why McDonald's is so far away 
Oh how I miss McDonald's, a 20min each way walk is no way to enjoy a Mcdonald's it's genuinely sad, I'd cry into my free student Mcflurry but I don't have one because it's so far away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment