Tuesday 6 November 2012

Vote!

I'm feeling totally inspired by the current US election but,  I don't feel enough young people are active in politics. I am really passionate about politics. I studied it at A-level where I studied both UK and US politics. Even before that I grew up watching the news every night so I always knew what was going on in the world. When I was in primary school political education didn't exist, moving to high school nothing was really mentioned until about year 10 in 'citizenship' when it was briefly touched upon. I think this is a really poor show. No wonder young people are apathetic about politics, nobody tells them about it! Lets be honest question time isn't the most attractive program to watch before bed.

Most university's have political groups (Labour , Conservative, Plaid Cymru, and LibDem here in Bangor). These usually take the form of societies, I would really recommend joining them even if you just go along to a few things in the year..I joined one (I'm not going to say which one) not because I vote for that party all the time, I just feel that my ideologies (general ideas and morals) fit more with that party.

Registering to vote is your chance to have your say. Don't know who to vote for? In the run up to an election the BBC tends to have really good briefing of each party's manifesto (what they plan to do). Take a look at these if you aren't sure. Please please please don't think that voting is a waste of time it really isn't. Young people need more of a voice and by simply turning out to vote on election day, you make a big difference.

So here is what I want you to do, while you have a free 10 mins at some point I want you all to do me a favor; pop over to http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk . It really doesn't take long to register to vote but you can really make a big difference.


As a student you can be registered in both your home constituency and your university constituency. You get two votes!

Keep it scrimpy!
Laura.



No comments:

Post a Comment