Wednesday 6 July 2016

Turning self neglect into self care

This week I've been pretty ill with sickness bug, so much I fact I was pretty much bed ridden for two days. I'm feeling much better now but I did have to take a day off work. It was when I was calling in sick I found myself getting quite upset about the fact I was letting my team down. The fact I couldn't physically get out of bed, and probably would have infected half the team was irrelevant, I just thought I was letting everyone down. It wasn't until that evening when I was soaking in the bath that I realised I've been too harsh on myself recently. 


Yes, I'm very sorry to my team that they were a staff member short on Tuesday afternoon and I'm very sorry for all of those people that received their Christmas confirmations a day late despite the fact they weren't expecting them. I'm very sorry to all of the people that had a que at reception to check out of their room as there was only one staff member on duty however I'm sure that 30 second delay wasn't the worst part of your day. 

Most importantly I'm sorry to myself. I'm sorry that I've beaten myself up over all of those things and more, I'm sorry I didn't listen to my body when it began to feel tired last week and I'm sorry that I was mad at myself for being ill. 

The fact is I needed a break. I've found I've given up too many things I enjoy to please other people. This blog is a prime example of this! But also soaking in the bath, reading a book, planning and generally looking after myself. So I vowed to start looking after myself, from what I've been eating, exercise and lack of me time. I need to make some changes if I'm going to be keeping myself healthy.  I'm going to make better use of my planner to encourage myself to block off some time to look after myself. After all I'm no use to anyone if I'm not at my best. 

I guess the moral of this illness has been that I need to put myself first and not feel guilty about it!

Keep it Scrimpy,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. The mist important person in your life is you! A lesson I learned a long time ago. Sounds selfish but it's so true. X

    ReplyDelete