Friday 17 July 2015

Afternoon tea- Bank Corner, Alsager

Recently Richard and I have found ourselves enjoying more and more afternoon teas, we have either been gifted them from friends and family or just discovered them by chance, some have been very fancy, others a bit of a let down, but with prices to suit all budgets but we do love them!




Bank Corner in Alsager is a cafe bar in the day and more of a bar in the evenings. At only £14 for two people it is one of the cheapest I've come across, there the option to choose two types sandwiches from a selection of four or five. We chose cheese and onion and chicken and stuffing (they were out of chicken so we have turkey and cranberry instead). My only query about the sandwiches was that there was only one veggie option, so if two vegetarians were there together, there only option would be cheese. Then there was the standard scones with jam and cream and an 'assortment of cakes' to include lemon drizzle and a cupcake. 


See! An 'ASSORTMENT' of cake!
So when it arrive it initially looked really good despite the stand being very wobbly (which we fixed for them). Then I noticed that we were missing the assortment of cake as all we have been presented with was two slabs of lemon drizzle. When I queried this with the waitress I was told that the lemon drizzle was all we were getting. I then pointed out then wording of the menu and she begrudgingly went to speak to a manager. The pub was pretty empty so we could here everything they were saying about us. Eventually we were given a cupcake each but I still don't think they got the idea of what an assortment was supposed to be.

It did look rather impressive at first
So we ate our sandwiches, which were lovely and probably the best bit of the afternoon tea. We then moved onto the scones which were a decent size, the jam was tasty although was presented in a little paper tub, like the ones you get sauce in in McDonald's. For the price we paid I can overlook this but one thing I will not over look is that the cream we were served was squirty cream. This actually made me irrationally angry, I just felt like this as an insult to afternoon tea. I'd rather have just been served butter and jam! I know it was only £7 each but if you're going to serve cream with a scone either served whipped cream or clotted just don't serve squirty!


I'm afraid after that it just kind of went down hill for me, Richard had a chocolate cupcake and I had a tutti fruity one and my god the icing was awful! It had a really bitter taste to it, so much so that I ended up scraping it off and just eating the sponge of the cake*. By this time we were both a little fed up so we wrapped the lemon drizzle to go and got out of there.

It is very unlike me to not eat cake
Now, I assume that the cupcake was a one time issue so easily solved so I'll overlook that, if there hadn't have been squirty cream this would have been an excellent afternoon tea and for £7 each over all. It wasn't too bad. Would I go again? I'm a big believer in second chances so yes.


Keep it Scrimpy,
Laura

*I know know that this is not a one off thing, after going back with a friend we had cupcakes and hers was also very bitter so stay away from the cupcakes with pink icing!

No comments:

Post a Comment