Thursday 6 November 2014

Reading week in Barcelona

So it's currently reading week at Bangor and this year I'm very lucky to be spending the week in Barcelona carrying out field work for my course. We didn't get off to the best of starts, the bus to take us to the airport wouldn't start but they sent us a replacement and we were soon on our way! 


After only a 2hour flight we landed in Barcelona where another coach was waiting to whisk us off to the hotel.

It's been a very busy week, we've seen a heck of a lot in a short space of time. I'm totally in love with the work of Gaudi, he's just brilliant and anyone visiting Barcelona should definitely see his work. 






The food is another awesome part of Barcelona. Food markets are another must visit, the hustle and bustle, smells and colours are really mind blowing. We played name the part of the animal on the butchers stalls, I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty sure there was penis. The juice bars are amazing though. At our hotel breakfast is advertised as an extra €8 which I think is rather steep, I'd much rather head here and grab something fresh. Also with the city boasting at least 45 markets like this one self catering would be an awesome option




If self catering isn't your thing then maybe a Tapas bar. We've had some outstanding food this week, some dishes are seriously full of Garlic, this makes me a very happy lady!



I also decided to order something I had never tried before, enter a snack of pigs snout. It really wasn't as bad as it sounds, kind of like a chewy pork scratching. 

Deapite being such a large city with so much to do we've also managed to head out and see more of the rural areas. They are seriously beautiful! Montserrat is a place that worried my slightly, it is first and foremost a religious place but it's fast becoming a tourist destination and there seems to be little being done to control the behaviour or numbers of tourists. It's worrying to see. 


Before I began this module I had no idea that there were volcanoes in this area, they're dormant but they are very much part of the landscape. I would love to go horse riding through this area, it would be beautiful.




Finally just for the cuteness factor here are some cats we befriended


We head home on Saturday but I'll post more updates soon.

Keep it scrimpy,
Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment