Sunday 13 July 2014

A Malta update.

So I'm half way through my stay in Malta, the tan is building well and we've had some great adventures. I'm not going to lie though I'm missing home, yesterday was a particularly low point, I wasn't feeling well and I just wanted to be at home. I'm feeling a little better today though so onwards and upwards!

Work at the permaculture farm is going really well and I'm beginning to realise that permaculture isn't just about producing food in a sustainable and eco-friendly way it's a whole way of life. It's about working and living with the land. The farm is a very calming place to be and I wish we could spend some more time there. I'm working on a research report about the health benefits of wheat grass (if anyone has ever tried it please let me know!). Also we've been working on a few projects including trying to perfect the method of making biochar, on our 4th attempt we finally did it! A full barrel! It's probably my favourite project on the farm. We've also been working on the micro greens that are grown here and are the farms main source of income, the greenhouse is partially underground meaning it's always nice and cool in there.
Biochar- This is mixed with compost (which is made on the farm) and it created a nutrient rich soil that plants love.

Micro Greens-Boxes of these up for the islands hotels, they take about 7-14 days to grow so there's always work to be done!
This guy is Zulu, he's my fave and definitely the best way to be greeted when we get to the farm!

We've been working hard but don't worry there has been plenty of time to explore the island. We are staying in Rabat which is pretty central so unfortunately there aren't too many beaches near us but we do have the beautiful city of Mdina, this is possibly my favourite place on the whole island.

This is the view from the Fontanella tea rooms where the cake is both reasonably priced and generously served!

Walking through the walled city it feels like it hasn't changed for centuries, it's honestly beautiful, if anyone is visiting Malta it is worth a visit.


Before I came I made myself a to do list and top of that was to spend some time horse riding.
We rode through the islands national park where two of our group are working, it was a great way to see the park, even if my horse was a little lazy and stubborn!


I also took a trip to Malta's Aviation Museum which was again on my to do list, it's something Richard would usually drag me along to and I'd appreciate the planes (I just like the fact they can take me on holiday!) while he would kindly inform me of the various makes and models (He's actually quite interesting I promise!). Anyway I went on my own and actually really enjoyed it.I got to sit in the cockpit and press loads of buttons, I felt like a big kid!




I'll have more updates for you all soon. Anyone who has been to Malta fancy recommending things to do/places to eat I'd appreciate it!


Keep it Scrimpy
Laura.


5 comments:

  1. how long are you out there for? http://thewanderlusthasgotme.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/visit-sharm-el-sheik.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here for a month. For a small place there is so much to see!

      Delete
  2. Hey :) I did my study year in Malta and really loved it there! Mdina was my favourite place too. I'd recommend going to Valletta, it's a good place to walk around with lots of different things to see and do, including the Barrakka Gardens, and St. John's Co-cathedral. Also, there's The Knights of Malta in Mdina, it shows a short film about Malta's history, then you get to walk around different scenes with an audio guide. I went when my cousin came to visit and we found it really interesting. Have a look to see if there's any festivals/ feasts going on aswell while you're there. I could go on all day about Malta haha, so if you have any questions feel free to contact me. I wrote some blog posts about Malta on http://fairyelephantblog.blogspot.co.uk/ Hope you have a great time!

    J :)

    ReplyDelete