Saturday 17 October 2015

My 10 biggest mistakes of student living

Having lived out the 'proper' studenty bit of my time at uni I feel like should pass on some advice so here are my 10 biggest mistakes of student living. 

10 - Not making the most of the clubs and societies

I was so lucky at Bangor to experience free student clubs and societies so why the hell did I never try scuba diving!? I'm kicking myself now. 

9 - Not making the most of my surroundings




Wales is possibly my favourite place and I don't feel like I made the most of my surroundings, we never climbed Snowdon for goodness sake!

8 - Not touring enough pubs

There are more pubs in Bangor than there are weeks of the year, I should have drunk in more of them!

7- Letting my landlady get away with not replacing the fridge 

My Landlady got away with too much, this was the main one though. Our fridge had a nasty habit of freezing stuff. She also told us that being a landlady was her only job, I found her on LinkedIn the other day and that was a massive lie! 

6- Not notifying the water company that we were living there and being stuck with a massive bill at the end of the year. 

This was entirely my fault, the first year we lived in the house the water bill turned up automatically but in the second year it never turned up, I waited until the end of the year before I rang them up and asked about it. We were left with a massive bill which my house mates couldn't pay because they had spent all of their student loan!

5- Staying in my house for a second year

I loved that house but it would have been so much less stress if we hadn't have stayed.
We had so many issues getting a fourth housemate and even more when we did! Wiwi and I should have just cut our losses and rented somewhere cheaper! 

4 - Not looking after myself and indulging in some me time

I was awful and looking after myself, even the small things like skincare went out of the window in third year, cue spotty and stressed Laura! 

3 - Stressing too much

When I look back at how much I worried it was silly really. Oh the number of times I sat in my lecturers office sobbing because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life or something wasn't quite going to plan. I've learnt now that generally things will be okay and rather than stress about things I need to be practical and do something about it!

2- Not putting everyone's names on the bills 

Yea, big big mistake. My credit rating has probably suffered because of other people's inability to organised themselves and pay money on time!

1- Getting rubbish broadband

Decent broadband is an essential in any student house, there are a lot of you, usually with several devices each online at once. I made the error of going with TalkTalk. Oh my god they were a pain in the ass! Just pay the extra and go with Sky! Cheap broadband, shit customer service and even shitter connection made for a very grumpy house. It was so bad I actually paid money to break my contract with them. Never ever again!

I could definitely go on! Hopefully you guys won't make the same mistakes as me.

Keep it Scrimpy,
Laura,

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I'm with you on exploring my surroundings more during my time at university. I was up in Newcastle and totally wished i'd explored the coast or popped onto a train and explored some more of the local cities.

    ReplyDelete